So How Did Daryl Get 110,000 Years into the Past?

Try It Yourself; It's Easy
Just hang out in a superconducting stator coil going chaotic.


Our hero in MIZ, Daryl Streeter, hard working electrical engineer, is doing his job checking out a superconducting stator in Denison Dam, Lake Texoma, Texas. Here is a brief excerpt from his travel diary:

....I approved the first upgrade on this unit over a year ago, now here I was, field probes in hand, trying to figure out why the sucker made a very big millisecond surge, a fault I had never even heard of, much less had a clear idea on how to check. The stators were at full pump, about a mega amp. The rotors were still, the water from the surge tanks channeled out into the Red River. I could feel the rumble through my boots as I climbed back down into the core. I was surrounded by serious cooling tubes and lots and lots of hybrid metal loops, a typical superconducting stator core.

Suddenly I saw something like mist rising from the crevices in the stator, a totally new experience for moi. This was not in the manuals.

Mist? Looked misty but probably smoke. This was seriously not good. I thought it was all over right there. Something must be burning. If that stator dropped out of superconductivity, engineer go poof! I started climbing the ladder to the hatch, fast.


Then I was climbing nothing. The ladder was gone, and I was climbing air, like a cartoon character who realizes there is nothing to climb, but keeps trying. Only it didn't last as long as it does in the cartoons. One second, then crash! I fell in tall, green grass, smashing down on both knees and both elbows. My face whanged into the ground, the forehead taking most of the hit....
Guess when he was......?

That's the bit that makes this story "science fiction." 
After that this is an adventure story in two "books," winding together in the third. Speculative reality building has a kind of sci-fi twist, just because I'm the guy I am.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega-Fauna in Pursuit

Amazing Female #4